With just a few pieces of elk meat leftover from an earlier recipe, I cooked up this amazing, flavorful and completely 100% low fat, Elk backstrap panini with smoked gouda, bacon and tomato.
- Cooked elk backstrap or sirloin
- 4 slices of your favorite bread (I used a rosemary sourdough)
- sliced tomato
- smoked gouda cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
1) Heat cast iron grill pan on medium-high heat. Butter both sides of your bread and place one side down on pan. Bread will be quick to cook – when browned, turn to other side and add sliced elk meat, bacon, tomato and cheese to one side of sandwich.
2) Add the other side of bread to the top of sandwich and push down gently with a spatula to heat meat and melt cheese. Turn sandwich to the other side to continue cooking being sure to press down gently for grill marks.
3) Remove sandwich from heat and enjoy.