I do believe that meatloaf is the ultimate comfort food and switching up ingredients makes for really flavorful and creative variations, just like this healthy and easy to make ‘Super Food’ meatloaf recipe. Also tastes great when making this recipe with ground turkey.
- 1 lb ground elk burger
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 egg beaten
- 5 kale leaves or 2 cups chopped kale (curly)-(spinach can be substituted)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic and kale. Cook kale until soft and wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine elk burger, breadcrumbs, egg, pesto and salt and pepper. Add kale and stir together. Form meat into loaf and place in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until done.
Serve with a side salad or mashed potatoes and gravy.