I’ve always been a supporter of using spices like cumin, coriander and paprika with my recipes and I’ve always been addicted to more spicier dishes that have a little extra added ‘kick’. Truth be told, I carry a bottle of Tobasco in my purse wherever I go. And let me just say… it’s come in handy on more than a few occasions. HAHAHA…
The dry rub is pretty versatile and can be used on other cuts of elk or venison if you don’t have a roast in your freezer. If you have time, I recommend making the Chipotle Butter and melting it over the top of the grilled meat. It really adds an extra richness and ‘Kick’ to each and every bite.
If you have extra butter like we did, add it to some french bread and toast in the oven or use it when cooking breakfast the next day. It’s really great in scrambled eggs. ~Kristy
- 1 Elk Rump Roast (Venison would work too)
- Olive Oil
Dry Rub Marinade
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cube butter
- 2 chipotle pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- Take all dry rub ingredients and mix together. Rub all over your elk rump roast and let marinate for 12-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- During this time, take 1 cube softened butter and mix together chopped chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, cumin and coriander. If you want your butter to have a little more ‘kick’ add in more adobo sauce. Roll out a piece of plastic wrap and place mixed butter in the center. Take one side of your plastic wrap and fold over the butter. Begin to roll the butter to form a round cylinder. It doesn’t have to be perfect or pretty. Twist the ends and place the butter in the refrigerator to firm back up.
- When you are ready to start cooking, remove the elk rump roast from the refrigerator and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes. Heat up your grill on high.
- Now this is up to you. I ran out of time to cook the whole roast as is so I opted to slice smaller steaks that where about 1/2 inch thick. Brush each side of the elk steaks with a little olive oil.
- Place steaks on HOT grill and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn steaks and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove steaks form the grill. Grab your butter and cut a few pieces and place on top of the steaks. Loosely cover with foil. Set your timer for 5 minutes and let the meat rest.
And you’re done… I sliced the steaks into even smaller portions and served with a fresh green salad. Between the two of us… there was nothing left. Enjoy!