An easy to prepare casserole filled with ground elk and smothered in chili verde salsa, diced mild green chilies, kidney beans, chips and cheese.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground elk or venison burger
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1/2 cup diced mild green chilies
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and cook until softened. Add ground game meat and all seasonings. Cook until browned. Combine salsa verde, green chilies, olives and kidney beans to meat mixture. Add 1 cup of the crushed tortilla chips to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Carefully pour meat mixture over the chips. Layer with shredded cheese and top with the remaining tortilla chips. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with sour cream.