Ground elk burger smothered in chili verde salsa, diced mild green chilies, kidney beans, chips and cheese. Two words… “So Good”!
- 1.5 lbs ground elk or venison burger
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 bottle beer
- 2 – 7oz cans of salsa verde
- 1 – 7oz diced mild green chili’s
- 1 – 6oz chopped black olives
- 1 – 15.25oz kidney beans
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cook elk burger and onion in heavy skillet until browned. Add ½ bottle of beer to keep elk moist while cooking. Stir garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper and chipotle chili pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine 2 cans salsa verde, diced green chilies, kidney beans and salsa in a separate bowl. Add cooked elk burger to mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9×13 casserole baking dish with non stick spray. Add 1 cup crushed tortilla chips to bottom of dish. Add layer of elk mixture on top of chips. Add 1 cup cheese to top of elk burger. Top cheese layer with 1 cup crushed tortilla chips. Add another layer of elk mixture. Add another layer of cheese. Top with remaining tortilla chips. Top with cheese and chopped olives.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese melts.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped cilantro.