It’s all about Portion Control these days, so I cooked up some Mini Elk Calzones with ground elk, mushrooms, oregano, ricotta cheese and creamy Alfredo sauce.
- .5 lb ground elk
- 1 cup mushrooms
- ¼ cup onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry (defrost prior to cooking)
- 1 egg beaten plus 1 teaspoon water
- Creamy Alfredo sauce
1) Add 2 tablespoons grape seed oil to skillet and cook ground elk, mushrooms and onions over medium-high heat. When meat has browned add garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Continue to cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Once the meat has cooled, add ricotta cheese.
2) Heat oven to 400 degrees.
3) Place pastry sheet on a lightly floured cutting surface and flatten with a rolling pin. Use a glass with a 2 ½ inch diameter and cut 10 – 12 circles. Add pastry rounds to non stick cookie sheet.
4) Measure out about 1 teaspoon of the elk stuffing and place on half of each pastry circle. Fold the pastry over the stuffing and press closed. It’s OK if it doesn’t close all of the way.
5) Brush the tops of the pastry calzones with the egg wash. Add some fresh parmesan and some chili flakes to the tops of each. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes or until pastry is browned.
6) Remove from oven and serve with your favorite creamy Alfredo sauce. Enjoy!