Friday night spent outdoors next to a fire and a few shallot and blue cheese elk burgers on the BBQ.
- 1 pound ground elk meat
- ½ pound ground elk sausage (breakfast or Italian)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons A1 Steak Sauce
- 1/2 cup smashed garlic-n-herb croutons
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Cracked pepper
- Soft blue cheese
- 1 red onion
- 3 medium shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded lettuce
- Sesame seed hamburger buns
- Cream-style Horseradish
1) In a large bowl, add Worcestershire sauce, A1 steak sauce, croutons, egg, garlic powder and cracked pepper to ground elk meat and sausage. Mix all ingredients by hand and then form into patties. The sizes of the patties are up to you. I typically get 4 patties out of this recipe.
2) After forming your patties, place direct on tinfoil. With your thumb, add a small indent into the center of each elk patty. This will help keep patty from shrinking when cooking.
3) Pre-heat the barbecue to high temperature.
4) Cook 7 minutes or until brown and then flip patty. Continue cooking on other side until brown – 7 minutes. Add cheese to the top of burgers during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Close lid and melt cheese.
5) Add sliced red onion and diced shallots onto a piece of tinfoil. Add butter, salt and pepper to onions. Place onions on BBQ (high heat). Cook for 10 minutes – turning onions every few minutes until brown. Continue cooking until onions become caramelized.
6) Toast buns on grill.
Top burger off with buttered onions and your favorite cream style horseradish sauce.