What do you do when you have an over abundance of wild game salami in the fridge… you can make these easy salami calzones with fontina cheese, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, red bell pepper and carmelized onions. I’m pretty sure that I just gained on an average of 5-7lbs after in-hailing 3 of these Venison salami calzones. 3 for dinner, 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch. Yum.
- 2 Cans Pizza Crust Classics by Pillsbury (or your favorite pizza dough recipe)
- 1 cup vension salami chopped
- 1 cup fontina cheese chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup fat free ricotta
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Mezetta roasted pepper strips with caramelized onion
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- red pepper flakes (optional)
1) Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Cut pizza dough up into 8-10 squares or cicles and place on lightly floured surface. Sprinkle both sides of dough with cornmeal to help from sticking.
3) One each edge of the calzones top with the ricotta cheese, basil, parmesan cheese, fontina cheese, venison salami and roasted peppers. Top with a few red pepper flakes to add a bit of heat. Fold edges of dough over filling and seal. Brush tops of calzones lightly with olive oil.
4) Place calzones on non stick cookie sheet in 400 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve hot with a side of marinara sauce or alfredo sauce.