Oops. I did it again. I had to make one of our favorite burgers into a smaller slider of a size. Try these Brie stuffed Elk Burgers with sautéed mushrooms and smother them in your favorite BBQ Sauce. Don’t forget to smash them down to release the melted cheese inside.
- 1 lb ground elk
- 2 tablespoons Whole Grain Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 inch Brie cubes
- 1 cup mushrooms
- Sourdough Rolls
- Grilled onions (optional)
Make 4 Sliders
1) In a large bowl, add mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to ground elk meat. Mix all ingredients by hand. Take a small amount of meat and form the patty. Be sure to make it small enough to fit on a small roll. Press gently with your thumb creating a small indent in the center and add the Brie cheese. Take another small amount of meat and cover the cheese continuing to form the patty. Your sliders should be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick.
2) Pre-heat cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to pan and once the skillet is good and hot, add the burgers. Cook the burgers for about 5 minutes and then turn. Be sure not to burn. Cook the same amount of time on the opposite side. Now here’s the fun part… I like to cook mine on their sides, stacked next to each other and rotating every minute until they are medium rare. They come out a bit Square but still just as tasty! Remove from heat and let rest.
3) While your burgers are cooking, pre-heat another skillet to medium-high heat. Add butter and mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms for roughly 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
4) Place elk sliders on sourdough Rolls, flatten or smash down on your slider with a spatula to release the melted Brie, top with the sautéed mushrooms and smother in your favorite BBQ Sauce! Now that’s good!