This simple ground coffee and brown sugar rub gives any wild game an extra caffeinated flavor explosion!
I used Elk for this particular recipe, but you can always substitute with other game. What you are looking for is a tender, roughly 4-6 ounce, round cut of meat. Tenderloins, backstraps or even the eye of round would work with this dish. And if you’re concerned that the bacon won’t cook as fast as the medallions, well no problem. Pre-cook the bacon in the oven prior to wrapping each medallion before cooking.
Coffee Rubbed Elk Medallions
- 6 elk medallions, trimmed & cut (4-ounces each) (tenderloin, backstrap or eye of round roast)
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup ground coffee beans, medium roast
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- butchers twine
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and pre-cook the bacon for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool. The bacon should still be malleable and easy to wrap around each medallion.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground coffee, brown sugar and salt.
- Wrap each elk medallion with a slice of bacon and secure with butchers twine. Coat both sides of the meat with the coffee brown sugar rub and set aside.
- Heat an oven proof skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Place the elk medallions into the skillet and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Place the skillet in the oven to finish cooking, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Support Our Veterans. A special thank you to Black Rifle Coffee Company (BRCC) for the delicious medium roast gift. BRCC, is a SOF veteran owned, small batch, roast to order coffee company.