It has been tradition to cook up some of the backstrap as soon as we get back to camp after harvesting an animal. This is a simple recipe that usually has requests for seconds and thirds. No need for serving with a side dish. It’ll be devoured as soon as you take it off the stove.
- Elk or Venison Backstrap (1/4 inch thick)
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- Marsala wine or Red wine
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Season elk or venison with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium/high heat. Saute garlic and mushrooms.
- Add Elk or Venison Backstrap to the HOT skillet (30/45 seconds on each side). Remove meat from skillet.
- Add wine to the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour mushrooms and sauce over meat and ENJOY!