There’s nothing better than grilling up some Elk Sliders for friends in celebration of the kickoff of the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup season.
- 1 lb – 1.5 lbs ground elk
- 1/2 Dry Hidden Valley Ranch Packet
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Roasted red bell peppers (Mezzetta)
- Melted 1/2 stick butter
- Onion (optional)
- Pickled jalapenos (optional)
- In a large bowl add breadcrumbs, egg, 1/2 of Hidden Valley Ranch packet, garlic powder, salt and pepper to ground elk meat. Mix all ingredients by hand and then form into small patties. Place patties on tinfoil and press gently with your thumb creating a small indent in the center. This will help keep patties from shrinking when cooking.
- Heat barbecue to high temperature.
- I recommend leaving the elk burgers on the tinfoil while cooking on the BBQ. The elk meat is very lean and can have the tendency to dry out if overcooked. Cooking on tinfoil reduces the risk of overcooking.
- Cook 7 minutes or until brown and then flip patties. Continue cooking on other side until brown – 7 minutes. Add cheese cheese to the top of burgers during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Close lid and melt cheese.
- Cut rolls in half and brush each side with melted butter. Place cut side down on tinfoil and cook on barbeque until browned.
- Place elk sliders on rolls and top with roasted bell peppers. You can also add ranch dressing, sliced onion and a few pickled jalapenos for increased heat.