If you are throwing a party or attending a get-together with friends and family, you shouldn’t underestimate the importance of the Hors d’oeuvre or appetizer. These bite sized finger foods are typically served before the main course and are always a crowd pleaser keeping your guests sustained until the main dish is ready to be served.
A popular Hors d’oeuvre is the stuffed mushroom which is an elegant classic appetizer filled with rich and warm ingredients. My crowd-pleaser recipe combines ground elk seasoned with perfumy fennel, breadcrumbs and Gruyere which is a sweet and salty cheese. Stuff each individual buttery mushroom cap with a generous amount of filling, bake until the tops are golden brown and watch how fast they disappear when served.
Elk Stuffed Mushroom Appetizers
breadcrumbs and Gruyere which is a sweet and salty cheese.
- 1 lb ground elk
- 20 mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese,
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove the mushroom stems and wipe the mushroom caps with a towel to remove any dirt. Set mushrooms aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, ground elk, onions, ground fennel, garlic powder and salt. Cook the meat until browned and the onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped parsley and remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix together the elk meat, breadcrumbs and Gruyère cheese. Take each mushroom cap and dip the stem side in melted butter before stuffing with the filling. Set the mushrooms on a sheet pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.