Elk stuffed mushrooms with sweet onion and smoked mozzarella
The perfect appetizer for impressing your dinner guests has to be Mushrooms stuffed with ground elk, barbequed sweet onion and smoked mozzarella cheese hot out of the oven. I would have to say… Yum! Remember too that you can always substitute other meats for these recipes such as ground sausage.
- 1 cup cooked ground elk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 25-30 mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- fresh thyme
- olive oil
- Slice sweet onion in large pieces about ¼ inch thick. Season with olive oil, salt and cook direct on barbeque. Turn every 2-3 minutes for roughly 10 minutes or until the onion becomes soft.
- In a food processor add elk meat, onion and garlic powder. Pulse ingredients together for approximately 5-10 seconds. Remove and add to bowl combining the meat mixture and both mozzarella cheeses. Gently stir together and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat. Add all mushrooms top side down, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Flip all mushrooms and cook for another minute. Remove from skillet and place top side down on a cookie sheet.
- Spoon roughly 1 tablespoon of stuffing into each mushroom cap and top off with some fresh thyme. Cook mushrooms for 10-12 minutes or until stuffing is warm. Remove from oven and enjoy!