I think I’ve said this before … we absolutely love tacos whether with elk, beef, shrimp, salmon or Turkey – there’s just nothing easier that packs such a flavorful punch! Try something different tonight and barbeque your basic taco toppings: tomatoes, onions, chilies and tortillas. It’s fun, different and best of all it tastes fantastic!
- 1 lb ground Elk Burger
- 2 tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 onion (red or white sliced)
- 6 green onions
- mild green chilis (diced)
- flour tortillas
- cabbage or lettuce (shredded)
- 4 radishes (sliced)
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle Chile pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Bottle Beer (Recommend Dos Equis or Modelo)
1) Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and garlic clove in a skillet over medium heat. Add ground elk and cook for five minutes or until meat begins to brown. Add salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chipotle pepper and cumin to the elk meat. Continue to stir until thoroughly cooked. Turn heat to low and add ½ bottle of the beer to your elk meat. Continue to cook on low while you BBQ your vegetables.
2) Pre-heat barbecue to high temperature.
3) Coat green onions, tomatoes, sliced onion with olive oil and salt. Place vegetables direct on grill. Turn vegetables as needed until they become slightly charred. While cooking your vegetables, place flour or corn tortillas direct on grill and cook about 1 minute on each side until warm. Remove vegetables and tortillas from grill when ready.
4) Place tortilla on plate, add a heaping spoonful of elk burger, add a few red onions, green onion and cooked tomato. I like to then add a few mild green chilies, some shredded cabbage and sliced radish for the additional crunch. Enjoy… I know we did!