Memorial Weekend 2015 is officially over and lucky for us we came home with a bounty and I don’t mean a bounty of the green stuff but a bounty of nice fat rainbow trout. If it wasn’t for all the kids donating their fish to us, I would have come home empty handed.
This rainbow trout brine and smoking recipe adds a mild sweet flavor and flakey-firm texture to your fish.
Up to 5 Rainbow Trout.
Note: If you have more trout double the brine recipe so that there is enough to cover the fish.
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peach brandy
- Mr. Yoshidas Original Gourmet Sweet and Savory Marinade (or other Teriyaki Sauce)
- Ground black pepper
- Fillet trout and cut into 4-6 inch wide steaks. Brine skin side up in a plastic or glass dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 10-12 hours.
- Wash trout under cold water, pat dry with a paper towel and set on wire rack in a cool place. Let sit for 2 hours.
- Brush trout with Mr. Yoshidas Original Gourmet Sweet and Savory Marinade. Add fresh ground black pepper.
- I used a Bradley Digital Smoker with Alder Wood and began smoking the fish at 150 degrees for 2 hours. Basting every hour with Mr. Yoshidas Marinade. Increase temperature to 160 for 2 hours. Finish trout at 170 for 1 to 2 hours until the internal temperature reaches 130/140 degrees.
- Remove trout from smoker and let sit for 1 hour before vacuum-sealing.