We were a little late to the party for sage hen in 2011 but were lucky enough to bring a few home for some good Barbeque. Amazing lightning storm over the weekend brought 700+ lightning strikes to Humboldt County, Nevada and 30 some fires. Unbelievable storm that seemed to blow in and blow out so fast that it could cause so much damage.
We have been pretty lucky this year to have had the opportunity to get out and hunt Nevada. This year seems to have been a better year for harvesting some of our favorite upland game birds and even so without the use of a dog!
Chukar is one of our most popular Upland Game Birds in Nevada and this recipe just happens to be one of our all time favorites… upcoming recipe for chukar will be breaded and fried with a hint of rosemary – but that will be next week!
The recipe for sage hen comes from a good friend of ours who introduced us to the amazing flavors of Nevada’s Sage Chicken. Tender and rich meat that tastes amazing when paired with a sweet teriyaki marinade. Enjoy!
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 Sage hen breasts
- 6 Chukar breasts
- Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki marinade
- Grill Mates® Peppercorn & Garlic Marinade
- 1/2 cup plain barbecue sauce
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground pepper
(NOTE: if this is too hot for you, simply use your favorite barbeque sauce. You’re mouth will be happy either way!)
- Cut sage hen breasts into 1 inch pieces, put in Ziploc bag and add ½ cup Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki marinade. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Cut chukar breasts into large enough pieces for skewers. Season chukar with a very light amount of Grill Mates® Peppercorn & Garlic Marinade seasoning rub.
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for about 20 minutes to keep them from burning on the grill or under the broiler.
- Mix the barbecue sauce, lemon juice, mustard, chipotles, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper in a bowl. Set aside half of the sauce for dipping.
- Cut 6 slices of bacon into 1 inch pieces.
- Skewer sage hen pieces onto two skewers adding a piece of bacon into between each piece. Do the same with the chukar.
- Heat BBQ to high and be sure that it’s good and hot. Place skewers on tinfoil or direct on barbeque. Cook 3-5 minutes turning the meat to ensure that the bacon is thoroughly cooked. Do not overcook the tender meat.
Remove from heat and serve with the chipotle barbeque sauce!