What do you do when you have an over abundance of wild game salami in the fridge… you can make these easy salami calzones with fontina cheese, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, red bell pepper and carmelized onions. Serve with Marinara sauce.
8-10 Venison Calzones
- 2 Cans Pizza Crust Classics by Pillsbury (or your favorite pizza dough recipe)
- 1 cup vension salami chopped
- 1 cup fontina cheese chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup fat free ricotta
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Mezetta roasted pepper strips with caramelized onion
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- olive oil
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut pizza dough up into 8-10 squares and place on lightly floured surface. In the center of the dough, add a small amount of ricotta cheese, basil, Parmesan cheese, fontina cheese, venison salami and roasted peppers. Top with a few red pepper flakes. Fold edges of dough over filling and seal. Brush tops of calzones lightly with olive oil. Place calzones on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve hot with a side of marinara sauce.