If you are searching for ideas on what to make for dinner or what to serve for Game Day 2016, try these Chorizo Elk Sliders with pickled red onion and arugula. You can easily cut this recipe in half or substitute ground venison. ~Enjoy!
Makes 18-20 sliders
For the Sliders
- 4 Chorizo Links
- 2 lbs ground Elk
- 20 slices Havarti cheese
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 20 mini rolls or hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
Slider Dry Rub Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
Whisk together vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl until dissolved. Place onion in a jar with peppercorns and pour vinegar over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before using.
- Mix together all slider seasonings in a small bowl.
- Carefully run a knife down the length of the chorizo links and remove casings. In a large bowl, mix chorizo together with ground elk. Form meat patties slightly larger than the size of your rolls or buns. Depress the center with your thumb so that the meat doesn’t shrink while cooking. Lightly season each side of the sliders with the dry rub seasoning.
- Place sliders on hot grill and cook for approximately 5-6 minutes. Turn and continue to cook another 4-5 minutes. Tear Havarti cheese in half and place on top of each slider. Remove from grill when cheese is melted.
- Heat oven to broil. Cut rolls or hamburger buns in half, place upside down on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Place under the broiler until browned.
- Place chorizo elk sliders on toasted rolls and garnish with arugula, pickled red onions and a thin layer of mayonnaise.