I’ve adapted this recipe from our most recent Smoked Steelhead Trout Recipe to taste if the same brine would work well for Rainbow Trout and I have to say — The Rainbow Trout hands down is amazing. We were lucky enough to bring home 4 large 2.5-3.5 lb rainbows from our Fourth of July weekend trip to Webber Lake, California. We filleted the fish and cut the fillets into four inch steaks in preparation to be smoked.
Note: If you have more trout double the brine recipe so that there is enough to cover the fish.
- 4 Cups Water
- 1/3 Cup Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Peach Schnapps
- Mr. Yoshidas Original Gourmet Sweet and Savory Marinade
- Ground Black Pepper
- Fillet trout and cut into 4 inch wide steaks. Brine skin side up for 10-12 hours. Be sure to use a plastic or glass dish.
- Wash fish off, pat dry with a towel and place on wire rack in a cool place. Let sit for 2 hours.
- Brush fish with Mr. Yoshidas Original Gourmet Sweet and Savory Marinade. Add fresh ground black pepper.
- I used a Bradley Digital Smoker and Alder Wood and began smoking the fish at 150 degrees for 2 hours. Basting every hour with Mr. Yoshidas Marinade. Increase to 160 for 2 hours. Finish at 170 for 1 to 2 hours until the internal temperature reaches 130/140 degrees.
- Remove from smoker and let site for 1 hour before vacuum-sealing.
Enjoy smoked trout with cream cheese, capers and a little diced red onion on a Wheat Thin or Sourdough Bread.