Flaky pastry surrounding taco flavored elk with onions and tomatoes infused with spicy cumin and chipotle chili seasonings… and then topped with creamy and fresh guacamole. Can you say YUM?
- 1 cup elk burger or regular hamburger
- 1/2 cup tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white onion
- 4 green onions
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet puff pastry (defrost prior to cooking)
- 1 egg beaten plus 1 teaspoon water
1) Cook elk burger in large skillet on medium-high heat. When meat has browned, add diced tomatoes, diced white onion and diced green onion. Also stir in cumin, chipotle chili pepper, garlic powder and salt. Continue to cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Once the meat has cooled, add cheese and stir.
2) Heat oven to 400 degrees.
3) Place pastry sheet on floured cutting surface. Take meat mixture and add on top of the pastry spreading out evenly. Begin to roll meat and pastry forming a pinwheel.
4) Use a sharp knife and cut pastry roll into 1 inch rounds. Place pinwheel rounds non stick cookie sheet.
5) Brush outer edges of pastry with egg wash. Place in oven and cook for 10-12 minutes or until pastry is browned.
6) Remove from oven and serve with guacamole, diced green onion and a few tomatoes. Enjoy!