Grilled elk sirloin with chimichurri sauce is a very satisfying main dish to serve up anytime during the week. If you don’t have sirloin to grill up, don’t worry. This colorful and fragrant sauce will enhance any cut of grilled meat and the sauce tastes just as flavorful when you serve it over venison, antelope, bison or bighorn sheep.
The chimichurri is simply a blend of chopped herbs, garlic, vinegar and a bit of heat from a red jalapeno. If you prefer a less warm herbed sauce, you can eliminate the jalapeno or cut back on the amount that you add.
I enjoy serving this sauce over sliced game meat with warmed tortillas, onions and avocado.
Chimichurri Sauce for Wild Game
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red jalapeño, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to blend. Let sauce sit for an hour before serving.