I enjoy the challenge of combining ingredients that I already have in the pantry to avoid having to go to the grocery store too many times during the week. Soups just happen to be one of my favorite meals to create and tend to be the most flavorful and memorable without breaking the bank.
- 1lb Elk sausage
- 2 – 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14.5 oz water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups dry Orecchiette Pasta (or other small pasta)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
Top soup with fresh grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
1) Add oil and chopped garlic to soup pan. Cook garlic being sure not to brown, add canned diced tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil and turn heat to low. Take a hand blender and blend tomatoes to create a tomato puree.
2) Add red wine, pasta, butter, oregano, salt, pepper and fresh basil. Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
3) While soup is cooking on low, add elk sausage to another pan and cook thoroughly. Add sausage to soup and stir. When pasta is ready serve immediately.
Top each bowl of soup with fresh parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.