A quick Venison Quiche for dinner, breakfast and/or lunch.
Savory and delicious no matter what time of day.
Ground venison seasoned with fennel and other spices gives this game meat subtle hints of sausage minus the pork. Bake until golden browned and serve each slice with chopped green onion and fresh avocado.
Of course, if you don’t have ground venison in the freezer, substitute with other ground game meat like elk, bighorn sheep or antelope.
- 3/4 lb ground venison, (or other ground game)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 7 oz diced green chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red chile powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, chopped onion and diced green chiles. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are softened. Add the ground venison to the skillet and cook until browned. Season the meat mixture with the fennel, cumin, garlic powder, chile powder and salt. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream until smooth.
- Carefully set the pie crust in a pie pan and crimp the edges. Add the meat to the pie pan and pour the egg mixture over the top of the meat. Top with shredded cheese, sliced tomato and a pinch of the chopped green onions.
- Place the venison quiche in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove when done and let cool before slicing.
- Serve with chopped green onions and sliced avocado.