If you enjoy and savor the intense combination of spices on your grilled red meat, then I highly recommend making this elk recipe as soon as possible. The combination of seasonings paired with the semi-tart lime garlic butter is a match made in heaven for your taste buds.
Serve the sliced elk steaks with a few grilled Anaheim chiles, green onions and warmed flour tortillas.
Seasoned Elk Steaks with Lime Garlic Butter
- 2-4 8oz Elk Steaks, 1 inch thick
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp light chile powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2-4 Anaheim Chiles
- 2-4 green onions
- 4 flour tortillas
- In a small bowl, combine the sweet paprika, light chile powder, ground cumin and salt. Rub each elk steak with a light coating of olive oil and then rub the spice mixture all over the steaks. Cover the steaks with plastic wrap and let marinate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl. combine the softened butter, minced garlic, lime zest and lime juice. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the elk steaks from the refrigerator and set on the counter for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Roast the Anaheim Chiles and green onions removing when done. Place the chiles in a paper bag or plastic storage bag for a few minutes. This allows the steam to release making the skin easy to remove.
- Add the elk steaks to the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn the elk steaks and top each one with a teaspoon of the lime garlic butter. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a plate and cover loosely with foil letting the meat rest for 10 minutes. Slice each steak and top with butter.
- Serve sliced elk steaks with roasted Anaheim chiles, green onions and warmed flour tortillas.