This festive wild game casserole is a combination of seasoned ground venison, roasted green chiles, shredded cheese, eggs and sour cream. Quick to prepare for any weeknight dinner or weekend breakfast and it’ll easily feed up to 8 individuals.
Serve each heaping portion with sliced avocado, salsa and a little hot sauce.
Of course, you can always substitute the ground venison with other ground game or ground sausage. The best thing about casseroles are the leftovers, that is if you’re lucky enough to have any left over.
Venison Egg Bake
- 1 lb ground venison, or other ground game
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 27 oz Fire Roasted Whole Green Chiles, drained, cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the ground meat to the skillet and cook until browned. Season the meat with the cumin, coriander, oregano and salt. Remove from heat when done.
- Drain the chiles and cut each one in half and then halve again. Place all chiles in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Cover with the cooked venison meat and then top the meat with the shredded cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream together until smooth. Pour the egg mixture over the shredded cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve the venison egg bake with sliced avocado, salsa and your favorite hot sauce.