Delicious and easy Wild Game inspired Chinese Egg Rolls for the Chinese New Year. Use goose breast meat or duck breast meat along with fresh ginger, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and finely chopped cabbage all packed together in a golden brown flaky egg roll wrapper.
We made 14 egg rolls with this recipe using one goose breast and those 14 egg rolls lasted about 5 minutes before they were totally devoured by the family.
Makes 12-14 Egg Rolls (double recipe if needed)
- 1 goose breast
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 2 rainbow carrots (use a julienne peeler)
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 8oz sliced water chestnuts finely chopped
- 8oz bamboo shoots finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 package Egg Roll Wraps
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon teriayaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Marinade goose breast for an hour or longer. You can double recipe if needed to include two goose breasts.
- In a bowl combine shredded cabbage, carrots, onions, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and ginger.
- Chop goose breast into 1 inch cubes and add to food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to pan and cook goose meat until medium-rare. About 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add ½ cup chicken broth to pan along with all vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables soften. (Note: cover pan with a lid to help steam vegetables.) Remove from heat and drain the liquid. Add goose meat to mixture.
- On a cutting board place egg roll with the corner pointed toward you. Place a few tablespoons of the mixture on egg roll and fold the corner up over the mixture. Fold left and right corners toward the center and continue to roll. With your finger, brush a bit of the water on the final corner to help seal the egg roll.
- Place egg rolls into heated oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Serve with Goose Pot Stickers, jasmine rice, sweet chili sauce, sweet hot mustard or sweet and sour sauce. ~Enjoy!